Essay writing is a part of the academic curriculum, regardless of which grade you are in. Ever since school to the time you enroll in professional courses, essays remain a part of your educational journey. But the toughest part is choosing the essay topics for your writing project. It could be time-consuming and requires a lot of brainstorming.
In this blog, we are going to share a complete list of essay topics for different essay categories to make things easier for you!
- 1 What Is An Essay?
- 2 How To Choose The Best Essay Topic?
- 3 Best Essay Topics For 2021 By Category
- 3.1 Argumentative Essay Topics
- 3.2 Cause and Effect Essay Topics
- 3.3 Persuasive Essay Topics
- 3.4 College Essay Topics
- 3.5 Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
- 3.6 Narrative Essay Topics
- 3.7 Research Essay Topics
- 3.8 Informative Essay Topics
- 3.9 Expository Essay Topics
- 3.10 Personal Essay Topics
- 3.11 Good Essay Topics
- 3.12 Descriptive Essay Topics
- 3.13 Proposal Essay Topics
- 3.14 Problem Solution Essay Topics
- 3.15 Process Analysis Essay Topics
- 3.16 Opinion Essay Topics
- 3.17 Rhetorical Analysis Essay Topics
- 3.18 Exemplification Essay Topics
- 3.19 Synthesis Essay Topics
- 3.20 Social Issue Essay Topics
- 3.21 Conclusion
What Is An Essay?
An essay can be best defined as a formal piece of writing focused on a specific subject. The aim is to persuade the readers through credible evidence. In academics, essays are used for presenting ideas, expressing emotions, proposing arguments, and even initiating debates in a non-fictional manner. While preparing to work on an essay writing project, the most crucial step is to enlist some essay topics that best match your subject as well as requirements.
There are various categories in essay writing, and the purpose differs as per the pre-defined norm. Therefore, one needs to be careful while selecting an essay title. If you are asked to select some good research essay topics, what would you look for? Well, it should simply be something broad enough that provides plenty of scope for research. A subject with quality research material from credible sources is the one you should go for.
How To Choose The Best Essay Topic?
So, you have been allowed the freedom to choose the essay topic for yourself. But, now you are all confused and don’t know what to do.
We have come to rescue you from this unwanted situation with our assorted list of interesting essay topics. But, before we jump into that let us help you with some useful tips that will make essay topic selection a lot easier for you.
Tips For Selecting An Essay Topic:
- Understand the purpose of writing: First and foremost you need to identify what goal you want to achieve with the essay. It could be to inform, persuade, entertain, or explain. It will help you to narrow down your ideas and concentrate your mind in a specified region.
- Maintain consistency: It is important that you carefully consider the essay type you are focusing on. This will help you in the selection of a relevant topic. For example, the explanatory essay topics require you to share your thoughts on a certain event. So the structure and tone would be different than that of a persuasive essay.
- Brainstorming: Needless to say, every writing task calls for the generation of fresh ideas and a unique approach to the subject. Thus, before diving in and writing right away, you need to engross yourself and paint a visual imagination. This will act as a roadmap for your essay paper and help you choose the best among your entire list of essay topics.
- A Topic Of Interest: So, you need to pick one out of different topics. Look at the list and evaluate where your interest lies. When you choose a topic that interests you at a personal level, the outcome would be positive. You will be able to make it valuable and easily elaborate on the topic in a much better way. There will be higher chances of a creative outcome, which means, more engagement.
- Evaluate The Potential: By potential, we mean that you should have enough data to write a full-fledged essay on the subject. You need to clearly analyze whether or not you have evidence, information, facts, figures, or whatever is required to write a powerful essay. Otherwise, you will regret choosing the subject. If you are choosing from different compare and contrast essay topics, select the one for which you can gather sufficient details.
- Replace The Topic If Necessary: Although we understand that replacing the topic is not something you would want to do, yet this could be your only option. While writing on a subject if you realize you are unable to produce valuable content, drop it and move on to something solid.
We understand how frustrating it can get, and that is exactly why we have curated a list of the best essay topics in various categories for you!
Best Essay Topics For 2021 By Category
Argumentative Essay Topics
An argumentative essay deeply investigates a subject, creates arguments on it, and also presents counter-arguments backed up with evidence to defend it. Here is a complete list of interesting argumentative essay topics.
- Does the death sentence need to be implemented at the global level?
- Will the LGBTQ community ever experience equality?
- Should healthcare be considered a basic human right?
- Smoking should be declared illegal.
- Are male and female students treated in the same way in schools?
- Should the government increase the salary of teaching professionals?
- The Electoral College should be abolished.
- Does social media negatively impact children’s minds?
- Should all internships be made paid?
- Has technology made humans more isolated?
- The government should declare equal paternity leaves for fathers.
- Does the Covid-19 vaccine have more disadvantages than advantages?
- Should the government make recycling a compulsory act?
- Parents should be allowed modifications for their unborn children.
- Vaccinated students should be required to attend educational institutions.
Cause and Effect Essay Topics
It is based on discussing how one or more events result in another one. So, you have to analyze how the resulting case has been affected by the prior cause. Check out this list of cause and effect essay topics below.
- How does single parenting impact children psychologically?
- What made hip-hop culture so popular?
- What causes happiness and how does it influence our lives?
- What are the reasons behind stress? How does it affect an individual’s life?
- How does homeschooling affect a person’s life?
- What changes does traveling bring into a person’s life?
- The effects of smoking on a pregnant woman.
- What are the reasons behind spontaneous decision-making? What could be their consequences?
- What leads people to commit infidelity? What are its outcomes?
- Why do teenagers indulge in the over-usage of social media? How does it impact their lives?
- How do family vacations impact the relationships among the family members?
- How does growing up in poverty affect an individual?
- What are the reasons behind a rise in cardiovascular diseases in the world?
- Discuss the causes and effects of cyberbullying.
- Has smartphone usage affected business practices? How?
Persuasive Essay Topics
A persuasive essay is meant to persuade the readers with logical claims and explanations to accept a specific point of view. Let us share with you some interesting persuasive essay topics:
- The government should ban animal testing.
- Healthy food should cost lesser than junk food. Explain why?
- Do you think professional athletes are paid too much?
- Should sex education be made mandatory in schools?
- All school students should be required to participate in arts.
- Explain why same-sex marriage should be made legal.
- Why should there be a right to privacy?
- How is homeschooling better than regular schooling?
- Does society treat people suffering from mental illness fairly?
- How does prolonged screen time harm children?
- Do you think genetically modified food is safe?
- Recycling should be made mandatory.
- National security v/s personal privacy: Which is more important?
- Why should nuclear power be banned?
- Excessive social media usage leads to anxiety.
College Essay Topics
Students who apply to colleges and universities are often asked to send an essay along with their application, which is more like a personal statement. It provides insight into the applicant. You can select from these interesting ideas to craft your college essay topics.
- What are the things that make you feel happy?
- What motivates you to work hard?
- How did you cope up with the difficult phase of your life?
- What annoys you the most?
- Explain a fictional character who you think matches the most with your personality.
- Who is a historical figure that you admire?
- Write about your top 10 favorite books.
- What are your life goals and how do you plan on achieving them?
- When did you feel like a failure in life? How did it affect your life?
- Write about a time when you had beaten your own expectations.
- Describe an experience that changed your perspective towards life.
- Which is your favorite destination in the world? Why?
- Your favorite memory from your entire life.
- Write about a historical event that you wish you could witness yourself.
- What makes you instantly lose respect for a person?
Compare and Contrast Essay Topics
Compare and contrast essay topics are based on laying out the comparison between two subjects. It is all about assessing and examining the similarities and points of differences between two individual things. It should help the reader develop an opinion after analyzing the good and bad sides. These compare and contrast essay topics will come in handy for you.
- Marvel v/s DC: which do you like the most?
- Windows v/s Mac: which one would you pick, and why?
- What are the significant differences between American English and British English?
- Would you live in a big city, or prefer a countryside life? Discuss why?
- Which is a more effective way for weight loss: exercising or dieting?
- What are the major differences between Islam and Christianity?
- Real-life dating v/s online dating practices: What would you pick?
- Work from home or work from the office: Which one do you prefer?
- Reading novels v/s watching films: What is better, and why?
- Surgery v/s chemotherapy: Also their effects on patient’s health.
- What would you choose: Materialism or spiritualism?
- Traditional v/s e-commerce: How do they differ?
- Milky Way and Andromeda: What are the possible differences between the two?
- How is social anxiety different from the fear of public speaking?
- Contemporary art v/s 19th-century art: How has the form evolved?
Narrative Essay Topics
A narrative essay is basically like storytelling where you creatively share your personal experiences. These narrative essay topics might interest you!
- The happiest day of your life.
- Write about an experience that changed your perception of other people.
- Share about your first sporting experience
- Explain an act of kindness you did that made someone’s day.
- What is your greatest fear in life?
- A stranger you will never forget.
- Write about a moment in your life when you feel lonely and nervous.
- Share about one of the bad habits that you changed, and how you did that.
- What made you lose faith in humanity?
- The toughest decision that you have made in life.
- Write about your childhood idols and how they influenced your life.
- How has technology influenced your life and behavior?
- Describe an unpleasant experience of your life.
- The influence that traveling has brought into your life.
- Share about an experience when you helped a person in crisis.
Research Essay Topics
A research essay is all about elaborating on your findings and learning that you have gained after exploring and researching a specific subject. Check out our curated list of research essay topics.
- Discuss the methods to manage inflation.
- What distinguishes private finance from public finance?
- What are the advantages of distance learning?
- Should the government legalize steroids?
- How does household air pollution affect human health?
- What are the pros and cons of choosing veganism?
- Do learning techniques influence learning behavior? How?
- How should the world tackle the large population of immigrants?
- Do video games promote anti-socialism?
- How do artists impact the world?
- Can same-sex classrooms be considered a better learning environment?
- What are the most effective and proven techniques to deal with depression?
- Explain the effects of stress on the human body.
- Discuss the events behind the fall of the Roman Empire.
- How was the black hole formed?
Informative Essay Topics
The informative essay paper is meant to inform the readers about the subject. It could be anything such as an event, a person, an object, etc. You can choose from this list of informative essay topics.
- Write a brief explanation of Native American culture and its traditions.
- What is the best way to get rid of a bad habit?
- How can you healthily lose weight?
- What are the impacts of incentives on employee performance?
- Why do you think religion is a powerful tool for controlling the masses?
- Discuss the effects of economic policies on poverty.
- How does poor mental health lower the body’s immunity?
- What is the role of physical workouts in stress-relieving?
- How does Artificial Learning help in improving active learning?
- Discuss the ways to help homeless people in the US.
- Write about the techniques utilized by countries to tackle consumerism.
- Share effective ways to manage emotional eating and indigestion issues.
- What role does published literature play in research?
- What are some important skills for academic growth?
- How can we effectively deal with excessive consumption of junk food?
Expository Essay Topics
An expository essay topic is all about explaining a topic and clarifying it to you. Below are some interesting expository essay topics for you.
- How does global warming lead to skin cancer?
- Share about the advantages of homework assignments.
- Discuss five major long-term effects of water pollution.
- What are the reasons behind increasing suicide cases among students?
- Explain the significant causes behind stress in a student’s life.
- How does knowing multiple languages benefit an individual?
- What are the effects of violent video games on children?
- Describe how communication has evolved in the last 10 years.
- How does music influence society?
- Explain how technology helps in enhancing the learning experience.
- How does home-schooling impact a children’s life?
- How can equality be established in society?
- How effective is the death penalty?
- What is the concept of rap music? How does it influence society?
- What is the best alternative energy source?
Personal Essay Topics
A write-up describing or narrating a significant lesson that the writer learned from their experiences is called a personal essay. Here are some of the best personal essay topics for you.
- How did you feel upon experiencing failure?
- Write about the techniques you have adopted for tackling hardships.
- Share about the biggest loss that you have endured.
- What is the one thing you could live without?
- How important is personal growth in life?
- What motivates you to work hard in life?
- How does social media affect your daily routine?
- Wealth or happiness: what is more important to you?
- Share about the best concert that you have ever attended.
- How can we learn something new every day that improves our life?
- What has been the most enlightening experience of your life?
- Explain how passionate about following your beliefs?
- What has been your biggest disappointment in life?
- What is the biggest difficulty that you have ever overcome in life?
- What role does freedom play in your life?
Good Essay Topics
We have curated a list of good essay topics that will come in handy for you!
- Should the government invest a good budget in space exploration?
- Have humans become too dependent on technology?
- The government should impose a tax on junk food and snacks.
- How do e-books enhance the learning experience?
- What are some common issues faced by working women?
- What could be some major consequences of global warming?
- Share your thoughts on crypto-currency? What are the problems involved?
- Write about the increasing trend of privatization.
- Should technology replace the traditional classroom experience?
- What are some successful ways to tackle violence on campuses?
- How does modern-day media contribute to eating disorders?
- What are the most corrupted countries in the world?
- Describe how fitness and diet are connected.
- The government should make tobacco illegal.
- Should women be allowed to breastfeed in public places?
Descriptive Essay Topics
A descriptive essay is crafted in a way that it engages all the five senses, including taste, smell, touch, sight, and hearing. The idea is to highlight every detail of a specific experience. These descriptive essay topics would be helpful for you.
- What was the most embarrassing incident of your life?
- Who inspires you the most in life? Describe that person.
- Write your experience at a museum that you have visited.
- Describe your most memorable trip with your family.
- Which is the best painting in history?
- How have smartphones changed your life?
- Describe your most memorable experience on a cruise.
- What is that one superstitious belief that you find strange?
- Which is the most popular place in your native state? Why?
- What is your prized possession? Describe it.
- Write about the psychological events that impacted your personality.
- Describe your hobbies. How have they helped in shaping you as a person?
- Discuss your favorite fictional character. Why do you love it?
- Describe an experience that changed your life.
- Describe your thoughts on an ideal teacher.
Proposal Essay Topics
A proposal essay is meant to introduce an idea along with relevant evidence from authentic sources to persuade readers into accepting your suggestions. You can pick some of these proposal essay topics for your next assignment.
- How can we improvise foreign language courses?
- What are the best techniques to discipline children?
- Should children be banned from watching TV?
- What are some effective ways to secure data on the internet?
- Write about some effective ways to tackle problematic children.
- How can we increase the effectiveness of the electoral system?
- What are the ways that parents can apply to make children independent?
- How to ensure that children remain protected from peer pressure?
- What are the impacts of cyberbullying? How should the authorities respond to it?
- Explain some practical ways to persuade kids to avoid indulgence in drugs.
- Suggest some successful methods that businesses can implement to build and maintain trust among their clients.
- Discuss how to deal with the emotional breakdown in the exam hall.
- Suggest some ways through which the government can manage illegal immigration.
- Share some ways to control childhood obesity issues.
- How can inculcate responsible internet usage habits among children?
Problem Solution Essay Topics
A problem-solution essay exposes an issue and then suggests multiple ways of solving it. It comprises four major elements including a situation, the issue, the possible solutions, and the analysis. There are some exciting problem solution essay topics.
- How can drunk driving death cases be prevented?
- What steps can be taken towards improving the literacy rate?
- Suggest some ways for controlling the issue of terrorism.
- What can be done to prevent the cases of sports injuries?
- Describe some practical ways to make colleges a safer place.
- How can we encourage people to adopt children?
- What can we do to eliminate the issue of body shaming from society?
- How can we reduce the issue of racial violence?
- What are some most effective ways to build confidence?
- How can human trafficking be curbed legally?
- Share some practical ways to spread awareness about healthy food.
- How can we reduce the problem of STDs?
- What actions can be taken to control deforestation?
- Suggest some ways to handle the problem of lack of clean drinking water.
- Write about successful methods to make college education more affordable.
Process Analysis Essay Topics
A piece of writing focused on explaining the actions of a procedure that needs to be implemented to achieve a desirable outcome falls under the category of process analysis essays. Here is a list of the best process analysis essay topics.
- Share about the multiple processes involved in the carbon cycle on Earth.
- How does cave formation occur?
- What preventive actions can be taken to curb the chances of civil war?
- How do advertisements influence our mindset?
- Write about the formation process of metamorphic rocks and what makes them important.
- What are some successful ways of dealing with a nervous breakdown during examinations?
- Suggest some effective ways to kick start a food business.
- Discuss effective tips to avoid distractions while doing your homework.
- How do satellites work?
- What are some effective techniques to control a panic attack?
- Share some exciting tips to become a professional writer.
- What are the most effective ways to promote animal rights globally?
- Discuss some successful ways of dealing with mental illness throughout your life.
- What are some successful strategies to develop a conducive learning environment?
- Share some effective methods to improve memorization.
Opinion Essay Topics
Am opinion essay paper involves the opinions of the writer through reasoning, arguments, shared views on the subject. Then, they need to back up the claim or opinion with strong evidence or examples. Check out this list of opinion essay topics.
- How do movies and television influence people’s personalities?
- Are whistleblowers in politics controlled by the government?
- Is global warming real, or is it just a hoax?
- What measures can be taken to eliminate corruption?
- Are smartphone apps addictive?
- Does social media popularity really matter?
- Is distance learning beneficial?
- Is there a connection between fashion needs and increasing crime rates?
- Does age difference matter in the workplace?
- Can science fiction really help in technological advancements?
- Does online communication affect family relationships?
- Does the news of violence in the media impact society negatively?
- What are the best ways to deal with school bullies?
- Should there be a ban on foul language usage by musicians?
- Are smartphones harmful to society?
Rhetorical Analysis Essay Topics
A rhetorical analysis essay is based on the style of the author’s writing, and not emphasizing the content that they have written. You can use our list of rhetorical analysis essay topics.
- Write a rhetorical analysis essay on “The Hunger Games”.
- “Enola Holmes”: Share your rhetorical views.
- Write about “Love Liberates” by Maya Angelou in rhetorical view.
- Present your rhetorical thoughts on “Every Man A King” by Huey Pierce Long.
- Analyze a piece of work by William Shakespeare.
- Discuss a rhetorical analysis on Nelson Mandela’s “I Am Prepared To Die”.
- Present your rhetorical analysis on artwork comparison over the years.
- Share a rhetorical comparison between “The Lottery” and “The Hunger Games”.
- Rhetorical analysis of “Pepsi’s” commercials over the decades.
- A rhetorical analysis of the farewell speech by Obama.
- Rhetorical analysis of the Netflix series, “Snow piercer”.
- Share your rhetorical analysis on the popular series, “Game Of Thrones”.
- A rhetorical analysis of the movie series, “The Lord Of The Rings”
- Share a rhetorical analysis view on “Address To The Jury” by Emma Goldman.
- Arthur Miller’s “The Crucible”: Draft a rhetorical analysis.
Exemplification Essay Topics
It is a form of an argumentative essay in which the writer has to prove a point using supporting examples. It utilizes the technique of both, a research paper and an argumentative essay. These exemplification essay topics could be helpful for you.
- What are the effects of climate change on the national economy?
- Can Artificial Intelligence result in the extinction of the human race?
- Does self-consciousness have anything to do with the age of an individual?
- Is hip-hop music responsible for influencing teens to become corrupt?
- Does mass media positively impact human rights?
- Could the evolution of life sciences strengthen healthcare practices?
- How does the increasing texting culture undermine vocabulary usage?
- How did World War II lead to technological advancements?
- Does media influence democratic development?
- Can the cases of shootings and attacks in schools be controlled by camera installations?
- Is today’s user really concerned about hacking attacks?
- Has there been a surge in the cases of internet hate lately? What are the reasons?
- Does immigration lead to the destruction of a country’s economy?
- How can group learning be a better experience than individual learning?
- Should meat production be outlawed by the government?
Synthesis Essay Topics
A synthesis essay is a form of writing drafted by gathering data from multiple sources to synthesize it for verifying a question or a thesis. Let us share a list of some interesting synthesis essay topics.
- Does the size of a class affect the academic learning experience and performance?
- Is technology a possible threat to traditional classroom learning?
- Describe how global warming is affected by air pollution.
- Should the USA make voting a mandatory practice?
- How does global warming impact farming?
- The government should ban oil extraction.
- Are video games turning children into cruel individuals?
- Should America legalize marijuana?
- Should the government legalize prostitution?
- What can an individual do to improve their living standard?
- Should all individuals possess bravery as a personality trait?
- The evolution of the third world countries: Analyze and share your thoughts.
- Is individual development really necessary?
- Why is plastic a threat to the environment?
- What practices should be adopted to ensure a clean environment?
Social Issue Essay Topics
In a social issue essay, the writer discusses an issue that society tends to struggle with. This includes problems related to economy, intellect, culture, equality, mutual respect, social reforms, injustice, spiritual well-being, etc. You can choose from this list of social issue essay topics.
- Identity theft: What does it mean? What are some successful ways to handle it?
- Discuss the discrimination faced by pregnant women.
- How can pornography addiction be handled?
- What are the reasons behind the decline of Roman culture?
- Share your views on the polygamy practices in the US.
- What role does media play during the war?
- Write about the sex discrimination incidents at the workplace. How can we deal with it?
- Does social media act as a catalyst in handling the issue of literacy?
- What are your views on abuse that exists in the sports world?
- Is drug legalization good for basic rights? Or, does it pose danger to society?
- Beauty pageants: How do they influence the position of women in society?
- What role do businesses play in influencing consumption trends?
- What are the contributing elements to the increasing aggression in children?
- What are your thoughts about adult literacy? Share some effective ways to overcome this issue.
- The effective ways to control hate speech on social media. How does it influence the audience’s mind?
If you struggle with crafting an essay paper, consistent writing practices can help you sharpen your skills. The first step is selecting the subject, and then following the writing guidelines. It is essential to gather information from genuine resources to back up your claims, and then draft an outline. We have shared an entire list of essay topics in multiple categories to ease off the process for you.