As a student, you may sometimes find essay writing a daunting task. And, as you move one step further there is another type of essay writing that requires you to synthesize the essay. Have you ever read an essay that utilizes an argumentative approach? That is called synthesis essay writing. It is an amalgamation of various components that come together to make a meaningful, and informative piece of writing. Are you excited to learn how to write a synthesis essay? Then, keep on reading!
- 1 What Is A Synthesis Essay?
- 2 Different Types Of Synthesis Essay
- 3 How To Write A Synthesis Essay?
- 4 Synthesis Essay Structure
- 5 Synthesis Essay Topic Ideas
- 6 Writing Tips For Synthesis Essay
- 7 Conclusion
What Is A Synthesis Essay?
As the name suggests, it is a type of essay writing that involves a mix of different elements. You must follow a proper essay format to achieve positive results in your tasks. Synthesis essay writing requires extensive research, as you need to gather relevant data for claims, and evidence supporting your topic from different sources. You can use essays, lectures, research papers, articles, and observations as the resources to back up your claim.
Then, you have to combine the data with a common viewpoint to create an informative essay copy. A synthesis essay consists of a debate of ideas presented in the written format.
The core of any synthesis essay lies within the process of ideation and deriving conclusions as per the reviewed details.
Different Types Of Synthesis Essay
There are majorly two categories of synthesis essays.
This is more of an informative paper, which presents an explanation for a term or topic. The emphasis is on providing a clear picture of the topic to the students. An explanatory synthesis essay helps give a comprehensive exposition on any given topic. The information collected from different valuable sources is evaluated, analyzed, and then presented in a meaningful way.
Argumentative synthesis aims to support an argument with powerful information drawn from several sources. It is written in an argumentative manner that is more like a debate rather than a simple explanation. Needless to say, an argumentative essay has to be written with supported logic. It is also important to summarize your ideas in a way so that it looks meaningful, and the reader does not interpret it otherwise. Also read about the top 150 debate topics to emphasize your essay topic easily
A Literature Review Synthesis Essay
This essay is generally written by college students of social sciences and medicine as a part of large projects. They comb through preceding literature on a specific topic and outline common themes. This evaluation has to help you outline which issues were properly researched and which of them haven’t. It will display components of a tested problem and could commonly assist to justify precise research.
Below is a listing displaying the verbs the writer can use withinside the different styles of synthesis essays:
- Argumentative: affirms, confirms, disagrees, concedes, insists, rejects.
- Explanatory: finds, verifies, states, and suggests, reveals, claims.
- Literature Review: advices, mentions, proposes, holds, predicts, and speculates.
The tone used withinside the explanatory and literature overview synthesis papers is sort of similar, and a few verbs are interchangeable, relying on the context.
How To Write A Synthesis Essay?
A high-quality synthesis essay walks readers through a chain of ideas and sources to show or explain a larger factor. Follow this step-by-step manual for writing your essay.
1. Select a topic that interests you
Brainstorm some ideas for your synthesis essay subject matter, prioritizing the topics you feel passionate about.
2. Research. Research. Research
Once you’ve determined a topic, use the internet, library, and different sources to carry out significant research. You can turn to educational primary sources to discover quotes from students and experts, or look up information or scientific research applicable to your topic. This research will assist you to broaden a point of view this is backed up by concrete information. Use credible sources which might be unbiased and objective.
3. Prepare the main argument outline
Your whole essay needs to concentrate on both explaining a certain angle and making an argument. Outline how each of your sources relates to your theme and helps your idea.
4. Start with an introduction
An introduction is the primary paragraph of a paper. Its foremost purpose is to give the overall premise of the paper, offer any essential background information, and hopefully, seize the reader’s attention. The introductory paragraph for your synthesis essay has to be wherein you consist of a strong thesis statement. This is wherein you may state the point of view that you’re exploring or the argument you’re making.
5. Follow body paragraph structure
Synthesis essays will normally incorporate 3 body paragraphs. A proper body paragraph carries 3 foremost sections – a topic sentence i.e. the key sentence, applicable helping sentences, and a closing i.e. the transition sentence. This structure maintains your paragraph centered on the principle idea, offering clear, concise information. Each body paragraph has to speak unique elements and assist arguments of your thesis, together with evidence drawn from every source.
Explain the common subject between your resources, in addition to how they’re applicable to your text. Include counterarguments in addition to how your source cloth can discredit those claims and assist your own idea.
6. Strong concluding declaration
A conclusion is a very last piece of writing in a research paper, essay, or article that summarizes the whole work. The concluding paragraph of your synthesis essay will restate your thesis, summarize the important thing, assist ideas you mentioned during the work, and provide your very last impact on the principal idea.
Synthesis Essay Structure
Synthesis essays normally adhere to the five-paragraph essay structure, however, there are mild nuances to structuring this sort of essay. Here is how a synthesis essay is structured.
In the introductory paragraph, the foundational ideas of your essay are expressed. You will cope with the overall panorama of thoughts around your subject matter, introducing a number of your sources. You can even introduce the argument to be made via a thesis statement, which succinctly states your principal argument in a sentence. The thesis statement normally comes at the very end of your introductory paragraph.
The body of your synthesis essay is commonly about 3 paragraphs long. This normally consists of paragraphs synthesizing your sources in a way that helps your argument, and one paragraph that recognizes opposing arguments.
The end of your synthesis essay reiterates the argument that you’ve made during your essay. It may also emphasize how each of the points you made and the sources you’ve noted substantiate your point.
Depending on the writing fashion suggestions that you’re working with—whether or not it’s APA, MLA, AP, or Chicago Manual of Style—you may need to consist of a source listing at the end of your paper to well credit your research sources. This is a listing of text citations that normally takes up one to 2 pages at the end of your paper.
Synthesis Essay Topic Ideas
Here are some ideas for synthesis essay topics:
- Is social media making people less social?
- Does the dating app culture impact relationships?
- Is the provision of the death penalty necessary or inhumane?
- Should the production and sales of tobacco be illegal?
- Does social media usage affect children’s academic performance?
- Is social media a threat to user’s privacy?
- How does poverty impact the health of children?
- Is technology a boon to mankind?
- Does the presence of fossil fuels on Earth contribute to global warming?
- Do violent video games influence violence in people’s behavior?
- The effects of air pollution on global warming.
- Does machine learn impact business productivity?
- Are we becoming too dependent on technology?
- Do false memories affect a child’s development?
- Is homeschooling a better option than traditional schooling culture?
- Is euthanasia brutal or an act of mercy?
- Can advertisements be misguiding?
- Are drones a threat to personal privacy?
- Is drug testing animal on animals ethical?
- Is the introduction of modern technology in the classrooms beneficial?
Writing Tips For Synthesis Essay
If you are new to the concept of synthesis essay writing, then we can help you in making the process easier. Here are some tips that will help you write your synthesis essay projects fast, and correctly.
- Create an outline: Whenever you start writing it is important to have an outline first. This way your essays turn out to be precise, readable, and informative.
- Utilize the writing tools: We are all aware of the common approach of proofreading your written papers to identify the mistakes before final delivery. Today, several writing tools in the market efficiently spot all the grammatical errors, and plagiarism, and organize citations for your synthesis essay writing.
- Elaborated introduction: A synthesis essay should always include an interesting introduction that is powerful enough to hold the reader’s attention. An engaging, and logical intro can be fruitful for your essay.
- Proofread the copy: While writing a synthesis essay, it is easy to get lost in the process of establishing your point. Thus, you must proofread your copy to ensure that the essay is drafted appropriately. Catch your spelling errors, and make necessary changes in the format to ensure that the final copy represents your best efforts.
Synthesis essay writing requires constant practice, as it involves substantial research on the assigned topic. Drafting the evaluated observation in a debatable format is yet another tricky part. It is essential to cite the sources that support your arguments.
You can even hire professional experts from “Writing My Essay” for your academic assignments. We have a team of prolific researchers and writers who can complete your synthesis essay projects within the assigned deadline. Writing My Essay is an online portal that offers premium writing services at competitive prices.
All you need to do is just reach out to their team, explain your requirements, and a project coordinator will be there to help you out. Even if you are running low on time, their talented writers are always there to save the day!