Gun control is a sensitive topic that needs to be addressed openly. Lately, gun possession has become quite a common phenomenon among the masses. Thus, gun control essay writing is a helpful way to spread awareness about the laws, rules, and regulations related to gun usage in a controlled way. The active participation of education professionals to encourage students to discuss this controversial topic is a smart way to help the public open up about it. In fact, students are themselves quite enthusiastic about understanding the nitty-gritty of this complex topic. Therefore, if you are also a student looking to write on gun control and related subjects, we have a detailed guide for you. Let us help you boost your knowledge on this critical subject.
In this blog, we will be discussing the different gun control essay types. Further, our guide will share the perfect tips and tricks to make your essay on gun control successful. Now, let’s move further and cover everything in detail.
- 1 What Makes Gun Control So Important?
- 2 Major Types Of Gun Control Essay
- 3 Argumentative Essay On Gun Control
- 4 Persuasive Essay On Gun Control
- 5 Debate On Gun Control: Pick A Side
- 6 What Does It Take To Select A Good Gun Control Topic?
- 7 Follow This Strategy To Outline Your Gun Control Essay
- 8 Useful Tips To Ensure Successful Results In Gun Control Essay Writing
- 9 Gun Control Essay Examples
What Makes Gun Control So Important?
Gun Control Definition
The set of policies and laws that manage the selling, manufacturing, transferring, modification, usage, and possession of firearms by the citizens are termed gun control.
There has been a rise in the number of crimes happening all over the globe. Hence, the possession of firearms for self-protection and hunting has become common among individuals. Despite this fact, gun usage should be regulated to ensure public safety. This is probably one of the practical ways to prevent or stop instances of mass shootings.
Gun is a lethal weapon that has to be handled carefully. It requires proper training since even the slightest mistake can put a life at risk. The easy access to these weapons has made it difficult for the authorities to control the tragedies. Further, the surge in the number of gun sellers in the black market has increased the problems of the government.
These are some of the major reasons to justify why is gun control important.
Major Types Of Gun Control Essay
Let us now talk about the different types into which gun control essay writing is divided. Each type has its own unique feature that sets it apart from the rest.
- Argumentative Essay: A gun control argumentative essay includes backing up your position through strong arguments. You need to dive into the subject completely and perform in-depth research using various resources. Next, assess the information to achieve successful results.
- Expository Essay: As the name suggests expository essay, you are required to conduct extensive research and reveal the facts.
- Reflection Essay: In the reflection essay it is necessary to carefully go through all the information gathered from different sources. Then, reflect on your personal opinions and thoughts concerning the topic.
- Cause And Effect Essay: The goal of the cause and effect essay is to define the causes and results depending on the information at hand.
- Persuasive Essay: A persuasive essay on gun control aims at persuading the readers into accepting an idea. It uses logic, emotions, facts, and figures.
- Definition Essay: A definition essay focuses on defining a problem or a subject. The purpose is to make it easily understandable for the readers.
Out of all the types, argumentative and persuasive essay types on gun control are the most common ones in academic writing. Therefore, let us have a closer and in-depth look into them.
Argumentative Essay On Gun Control
An argumentative essay focuses on presenting arguments for or against a specific matter. In the case of an argumentative essay on gun control, you have to discuss the supporting and opposing points related to gun control.
Argumentation can happen in many different ways. Here are some of its different types:
- Rogerian Argumentation: In the Rogerian model, the goal is to study the claims from both ends of the issue. Further, the ultimate purpose is attaining a mutual understanding and identifying a common goal. It is acclaimed as one of the best models for crafting an argumentative essay on gun control.
- Toulmin’s Argumentation: The gun control arguments based on this model signify that you are making claims based on evidence or data through credible sources.
- Classic Argumentation: In the classic argumentation model, you have to stick with the five-step writing style. It includes:
- Concession and Refutation
After you select a topic, the next step would be performing the required research work. It would help you in gathering the data to back up your thesis confidently.
As you move further, structure the information as per the outline. Do not forget to proofread the write-up and modify it, if required.
Persuasive Essay On Gun Control
As we have already explained, the goal of a persuasive essay is to convince the readers to accept your ideas and claims. Therefore, while writing such an essay paper, you should ensure that the final outcome is authentic and includes facts. You can achieve this by stating valid arguments.
Let us now discuss what it takes to write a good-quality persuasive essay on gun control topics. Here are the three core pillars you need to include in your persuasive write-ups.
- Ethos: It includes the usage of legit facts and figures collected from reliable external sources.
- Logos: The writer focuses on using logic and clearly stating what makes a certain topic good or bad.
- Pathos: In Pathos, the focus is given to appeal to the audience through emotive elements. This includes generating a sense of empathy, happiness, shock, etc.
Debate On Gun Control: Pick A Side
When it comes to participating in a debate focused on firearms usage and the regulations involved, it is natural to feel confused.
So, how do you proceed with it? Let us understand that with an example.
This is how you choose a side in a debate on gun control.
In America, every day, at least 33 people are killed. Now, you can use these figures to support your side in a gun control essay.
Now, let us see what we can do to strengthen the debate on this topic by stating arguments in support and opposition to gun control.
Arguments That Support Gun Control
Arguments Against Gun Control
Guns are dangerous weapons that do not take long to injure or kill an individual or the masses.
People keep guns for self-defense, hunting, expanding their collection, or other legally approved purposes.
Gun owners are five times more likely to commit suicide by shooting themselves.
It is people who kill, and not the guns.
As per a report, gun owners are 43 times more likely to kill a friend, family member, or neighbor than an intruder.
A person with a criminal mindset can hurt others despite having legal access to guns.
Further, you can research and figure out new claims to empower your perspective and present it to the readers.
What Does It Take To Select A Good Gun Control Topic?
If you wish to write an impressive essay on gun control, then you need to select your topic carefully. A lot of students do not spend enough time while deciding the topic. They mindlessly pick anything without investing time in the background research.
When it comes to dealing with gun control-related topics, always remember that it is a global issue. Thus, instead of going for something broad, it is better to narrow down your choices. Be specific about your choice. You can then dive deep into the topic and elaborate on it.
Here are a few things to keep in mind while selecting a good gun control topic:
- Significance: How relevant is the subject matter you have selected? The type of essay is crucial. But, the relevance of the subject is higher.
- Engagement: You must pick an engaging topic. Not only would you enjoy writing about it, but it would also be a good read for the audience.
- Size: The length of a gun control essay paper should just be right. Both limiting the word length and going too wordy; can be a problem.
- Accuracy: You need to make sure that the topic you have selected is precise and specific. By clearly stating the end goal through the title, you will be able to do justice with the topic.
- How relevant is the thesis?: Thesis is a highly important element in academic writing. Therefore, you need to ensure that the topic you have selected stands true in terms of the thesis statement.
- Debatable: Does the topic offer scope for debate? A good gun control topic ensures enough room for arguments, both against and in support. Hence, as a writer, you need to do your research on both matters. This means having a clear understanding of the good and bad sides of firearms laws.
This is how you choose a good gun control topic!
Lets us now help you with some exciting gun control essay topics.
Pro-Gun Control Essay Topics
- The government should make stricter gun control laws.
- The role of gun control in curbing crime.
- All the states should abide by gun control measures.
- What makes gun control a necessity in today’s society?
- The relation between mental illness and gun control.
- A surge in youth suicides due to easy accessibility to guns.
- Increased cases of domestic violence due to the easy availability of firearms.
- The impact of gun control on the economy.
- The effect of gun control on mass shootings.
- Why should guns not be accessible to civilians?
Anti-Gun Control Essay Topics
- Guns are essential for self-defense and protection.
- Gun control would lead to the illegal trading of firearms.
- Gun control reflects the demise of democratic power.
- How do firearms make us feel empowered?
- Can gun control laws really make the country a safe place?
- Gun control is nothing but a way to disable civilians.
- Gun control is not the way to control school aggression.
- Firearms make citizens feel empowered and protected.
- Gun control is not the answer to violent behavior.
- Killing is not the only purpose served by guns.
Follow This Strategy To Outline Your Gun Control Essay
You must adhere to an outline structure while writing any type of essay paper. An outline would help you structure the information in your gun control essay meaningfully.
Further, sticking to the outline is an intelligent way to save your time and efforts during academic paper writing. It also smoothens your research phase.
Let us now share the simple yet perfect way to outline a gun control essay paper.
- Introduction: Whether you are writing a persuasive essay on gun control or an argumentative one, always start with an introduction. Focus on making it enticing to engage the audience.
Also, introduce a hook to appeal to the readers. Clearly state the main idea in the introductory part. Further, do not forget to mention a thesis statement.
- Main Body: The body of your essay would depend on the type of essay you are writing. Here, you should focus on presenting the stats, facts, and figures to prove your claims.
Moreover, you can state your opinions and ideas on the subject. For this, you would be required to do the research. Maintain a transition of ideas among the paragraphs.
- Conclusion: The concluding paragraph discusses the summary of the core idea. You need to support your thesis or the point you are trying to prove. Also, including a “takeaway” for the audience is also a good idea.
- Citations: In case the type of paper follows references and citation guidelines, do mention them.
Useful Tips To Ensure Successful Results In Gun Control Essay Writing
Here are some practical tips and tricks to achieve impressive results in gun control essay writing tasks.
- Select the right topic: Choose a topic that is important, engaging, and relevant.
- Craft a strong thesis statement: You must write a powerful thesis statement. It should be effective enough to inform the readers about your take. Further, it would provide them an insight into the main theme of the subject.
- Thorough research: This one is a no-brainer. Make sure to perform in-depth research on the subject rather than directly jumping on the writing part. Always go for credible sources.
- Consider it as a debate: You need to take care of both sides of the gun control arguments. Be prepared to support it, as well as the counterarguments.
- Adhere to an outline: Students often start writing without any outline. Never make this mistake. Always stick to an outlining structure. It will help you stay organized.
- State a clear position: It is always to have a clear stance on the situation. Hence, make sure to have a clear position rather than being ambiguous.
- Provide facts: If you look at some gun control essay examples, you will notice that they all include facts, logic, figures, etc., to ensure credibility. You need to follow the same.
- Proofread your copy: Once you are done with your gun control paper, carefully proofread everything. Make the necessary changes in the draft before final delivery.
Gun Control Essay Examples
We are going to share examples of two major gun control essay types.
Example Of Argumentative Gun Control Essay
Thesis: American lives are in danger due to private ownership of guns.
Body: The United States has always been in controversies due to firearms ownership by civilians. The major reason US citizens are legally allowed to purchase and possess guns is self-defense and state security. However, the country lacks a strict regulatory framework on gun usage and control. Consequently, there has been a surge in the crime rates, mass shootings, gangsters in the public areas. This is a threat to the nation’s security. Politics is undoubtedly the core player for establishing gun control regulations. But, the government’s take on this serious concern seems to be quite mild. On top of that, the state authorities are always taking sides. All this makes it even more difficult to reach a decision. In my opinion, allowing private ownership of firearms puts the lives of American citizens in grave danger.
Example Of Persuasive Gun Control Essay
Gun control is a highly controversial topic. Yet, it is a topic of huge concern as it directly impacts the lives of American citizens. Numerous Supreme Court proceedings and endless public arguments have occurred on this very subject. Today, it has become significant to exercise constitutionally protected right for the ownership and possession of firearms. The government should not abolish a citizen’s right to own guns. Rather, it is essential to make the necessary modifications to the existing laws. Further, educating the citizens about gun ownership and providing safety training is a smart way to deal with the issue at hand.
Writing a gun control essay could be tricky for some students. After all, it is a debatable topic. You will find individuals supporting and opposing the idea of gun control. Therefore, it is always better to understand the concept in and out. Then, spend a considerable amount of time writing your essay paper on gun control.
If you struggle with writing your essay papers, you can hire professionals from Writing My Essay to do the job for you! We have Ph.D. and diploma-holding writers with in-depth knowledge of the subjects. All our academic writing services are affordably priced exclusively for school and college students. You can rely on us for multiple academic writing services, including:
Writing My Essay is known for delivering plagiarism-free, spotless content that helps students score A+ in our complicated subjects. We are your perfect companion for the timely delivery of superlative quality academic papers.