Essays are an important part of every student’s academic life. It helps students in refining their knowledge and writing skills. Further, it allows teachers to assess a student’s understanding and approach towards a subject.
A definition essay is one such type of essay writing that’s often assigned in schools and colleges. They are crafted in a standard format and generally define a term. Moreover, it presents an in-depth analysis of a specific topic. It’s an excellent way to enhance academic and creative writing ability. Many students find composing definition essays a challenging task, so we have decided to make it easy for you.
In this blog, we will share an elaborated view on definition essay writing and demonstrate it through examples.
- 1 What Is A Definition Essay?
- 2 Definition V/s Definition Essay: Where Does The Difference Lie?
- 3 Popular Types Of Definitions Widely Used In Essays
- 4 Definition Essay Outline
- 5 A Quick Guide To Write The Perfect Definition Essay
- 6 Awesome Definition Essay Topic Ideas For Students In 2022
- 7 Definition Essay Examples
What Is A Definition Essay?
As the name suggests, a definition essay focuses on clearly defining a term or a concept to the audience. Hence, you are required to craft a personal definition of a word but include an academic touch to it. We will explain it better using definition essay examples.
The simplest way to go is, choose a term that offers good scope for writing. A word that can be defined through statements and facts shall not be mistaken with a good topic. Instead, you should go for something that has more than one meaning and you can unravel its unique aspects.
Basically, a definition essay establishes the idea, term, or concept in the picture. Furthermore, it provides lucid and particular details related to the subject and clarifies it through examples.
Definition V/s Definition Essay: Where Does The Difference Lie?
Several concepts, terms, and ideas can be expressed in a variety of ways. There are multiple meanings of a single term. Sometimes the meaning of a term changes as per the text it is used in.
When it comes to definitions, they are majorly focused on structure, assessment, and functions. So, when these definitions are used as per their roles in different contexts, they are termed as a definition essay. To be precise, a definition is nothing but a plain statement defining a term. On the other hand, a definition essay is more like a discussion of multiple definitions of a single word.
We hope you now have a clear idea about what is a definition, what is a definition essay and how they differ.
Simple Ways To Make Your Definition Essay Effective
Here is a quick glance at a few steps to write an impressive definition essay paper:
- Introduce readers to the term being defined.
- Share the basic and clear details about the subject.
- Include facts, examples, anecdotes, and other interesting ways to help the readers understand the idea better.
Popular Types Of Definitions Widely Used In Essays
If you have finally taken up the challenge to craft a definition essay on a chosen term, let us help you with major definition types. It will ease up the process of choosing the “perfect” term for your task.
These are some popular ways to approach your topic:
- Classification: Identity the class to which the issue belongs.
- Analysis: You can break down the subject into two or more parts and define each aspect separately.
- Negation: Logically dismiss a part of the term to identify what it actually means.
- Comparison: Comparing the term from something usual helps in determining what makes it similar or different from others.
- Results, Effects, and Uses: Explain the uses and after-effects of the subject.
- Origins and Causes: Recognize the point of inception of the theme. Gather some background details and walk down the history lane of that specific term or idea.
- Details: Identify the characteristics and other distinctive traits that explain the core idea of the subject.
Definition Essay Outline
When it comes to writing a paper, regardless of its type, you must stick to an outline. Hence, just like a research paper, a term-end paper, a definition essay also follows a certain outline. It helps in perfectly identifying the meaning of the term in a meaningful and logical way. A definition essay outline is designed to express the essential elements related to the term.
This way, you can easily explain the term in a well-structured way. A lack of outline will make the content look all over the place. Hence, it would be difficult for the readers to understand the point you are trying to state. The outline helps in bringing a natural flow of information in the write-up, backed up with logic. Let us now share the outline plan you can use for writing your definition essay.
Definition Essay Outline Format: Bring Your Essay Together
As per the general rule, a definition essay is divided into three major sections. You need to organize the information based on the outline format. It starts with an introduction, then comes the main body, and ends with a conclusion. Let us share with you the standard definition essay outline format:
- Official, academic, or dictionary-based definition of the term.
- An interesting fact, statement, anecdote, or some personal information.
- A strong thesis statement.
- Body Paragraphs
- A topic sentence.
- In-depth analysis of the topic sentence.
- Add some facts, examples, or evidence to support the idea.
- A flawless transition to the next idea or the conclusion.
Note: The main body paragraphs can be divided into three paragraphs, all following a similar writing procedure.
- Restate the thesis statement.
- A summarized view of the crucial points specified in the essay.
- Some concluding remarks.
Also, read here Chicago style format to give a better look at your essay.
A Quick Guide To Write The Perfect Definition Essay
Just like any other writing task, you need to follow a well-defined process while writing a definition essay paper. Let us begin and discuss how to write a definition essay effectively and score higher.
- Carefully Go Through The Guidelines
It is a requisite to read and understand all the guidelines and instructions specified by your assigner in the beginning. This way, you get a clear idea about the basic necessities of the project making it easier for you to fulfill them.
Hence, before you start writing your definition essay simply check out the details such as word limits, formatting style, and other requirements. Adhering to the instructions seals some extra scores in the assignment.
- Select An Appropriate Topic
Now that you have scanned the guidelines, the next important step is choosing a topic for your definition essay paper. Do some research, indulge in brainstorming to churn out some exciting topics. You must assess the topic well and decide whether or not it offers the scope for impressive and detailed definition essay writing. Hence, make sure to refrain from closed topics.
- Collect The Necessary Information
Once you have selected a topic, get into the research work. This involves gathering the necessary details that help put forth a clear meaning and definition of the term. Scan through dictionaries, online sources, and other credible sources to identify the academic context of your chosen subject. Make sure to include it in your essay paper.
It is important to understand that a term with multiple interpretations must be defined precisely. Hence you must discuss the varying perspectives in your write-up.
- Prepare An Outline
To make sure all the information is meaningfully aligned, you need to work with an outline. Organize the data logically to prepare a structure.
Let us now share a detailed view of the outline for writing a successful definition essay.
- Introduction Of A Definition Essay
Your definition essay must clearly introduce the topic to the readers. It’s the first thing the audience notices, so make sure to make the introduction informative and interesting. You need to include all the essential elements in the outline.
Start with the dictionary or academic definition of the subject, and then move on to a quick overview of the term. Do not forget to add some background information. Then, as you reach the end draft a thesis statement.
- The Body Of Your Definition Essay
The body of a definition essay is where its essence lies. It’s where you put all the gathered information into action. Moreover, a detailed analysis of the information should be presented.
The main body is divided into three paragraphs, each defining a specific aspect of the topic. Moreover, assess the terms with the help of examples and clearly explain the meaning to the audience. Everything should be drafted using transition words as you move further in the direction of the conclusion.
- The Conclusion Of A Definition Essay
The final part or conclusion of a definition essay should restate the core idea. Hence, bring together all the information you have in hand to formulate a meaningful essay paper. Make sure to craft a strong conclusion which provides your audience with a sense of closure. Summarize the information for your audience. Further, a thesis statement helps in explaining how something was proved.
Awesome Definition Essay Topic Ideas For Students In 2022
Creative Definition Essay Topics
- Mental peace
- What is modesty?
- The significance of dedication.
- How would you define “curse”?
- Share your views on self-respect.
- Explain the true meaning of “courage” in your own words.
- What do you understand by maturity?
- What is poetry?
- Define your perception of a “decent” job.
- Throw light on the real meaning of sportsmanship.
Useful Definition Essay Topics For College
- What do you understand by “optimism”?
- How would you explain success?
- Qualities of a strong leader.
- What is xenophobia?
- What are your thoughts on gender inequality?
- What is sincerity?
- Explain feminism.
- Elaborate on the effects of the digital revolution.
- What is Buddhism?
- What do you understand by racism?
Funny Definition Essay Topics
- Effective ways to procrastinate.
- The perks of being a homeless person.
- Best ways to pretend to be busy, when you are clearly not.
- Why do you prefer singlehood over marriage?
- How would you sneak into your home at late night?
- The different types of dates.
- What makes clowns so scary?
- The demerits of adding parents to social media channels.
- The thoughts of a dog about its owner.
- How can you eat silently at 2 in the night?
Definition Essay Topics For Science
- What would be the reason for the fifth-generation war?
- Practical ways to make money using social media.
- Explain the process of recycling.
- What do you understand by digital theft?
- How do gadgets affect the youth?
- What are the pros and cons of technology’s advancements?
- Best ways to curb pollution.
- Define Artificial Intelligence.
- Does the digital revolution lead to a successful future?
- Is space the new zone for global competition?
- How has the COVID-19 pandemic affected the world of technology?
Definition Essay Topics For History
- How would you define history?
- Did WW2 happen due to WW1?
- The impacts of the second world war on family traditions.
- How does war affect soldiers psychologically?
- How would you define the term “conquest”?
- Explain history in terms of politics and academics.
- The contribution of the first world war to women empowerment.
- What is the significance of cultural heritage?
- Have nuclear weapons made the world insecure?
- What makes ancient civilization different from present-day civilization?
Also, read here more interesting and unique essay topics for 2022.
Definition Essay Examples
Let us now illustrate the definition essay with the help of examples.
Example #1: What Is Bravery?
It is natural and completely normal to feel afraid. The feeling of fear surrounds us all, from time to time. Whether you are afraid due to a phobia, or incapability of attaining your goals- everyone feels the jitters. However, becoming brave does not mean forgetting that about your fears. One can’t be brave when they have no reason to fear. Bravery comes from the very existence of fear.
If we observe and assess carefully, bravery is nothing but a mindset. A mindset that sprouts from being in a challenging situation. When a person engages in a life-threatening or any other dangerous situation. However, some people may experience fear in otherwise normal cases. For instance, while climbing up the stairs or interacting with someone they like. So, what’s the best way to approach such situations? It’s best to face your fears and fight the issue instead of giving up.
For example, firemen and police officers display bravery while performing their duties. A more common and relatable example would be students who raise their voices against mistreatment such as bullying. “Courage” is a synonym for bravery that closely defines its meaning. It is the ability to act in the right direction regardless of the presence of a threat.
It would be safe to say that bravery exists where there is fear. It acts as a push to make people accomplish even the most dangerous and challenging tasks. The fear drives them the inner strength to reach their goals. Hence, the next time you come across someone displaying the characteristics of bravery; know that deep down they are terrified and that’s what pushes them to act bravely.
Example #2: “The True Meaning Of Success”
Success has many different meanings; it cannot be defined in a single way. We must realize that personal success does not have a recipe or a formula. It simply means different individuals can act in different ways to achieve personal development. After all, everyone has distinctive priorities and goals in life. It simply means individuals feel good based on different traits and activities. We can say that success takes up a different meaning as per a person’s inner strengths, weaknesses and personality. A successful person can understand their priorities, accept their weaknesses in front of the world, and balance everything while welcoming new opportunities that knock on their doors.
A person’s perspective is greatly affected by their personality type. Many people perceive success from another individual’s viewpoint. Regardless, you can say that the core idea about success is; the person should have a clear understanding of their own abilities. We should not connect success with happiness. If we start doing that, it would mean that humans cannot be successful if they are not happy with their achievements.
In fact, true success comes when you can understand the goals that you had been struggling to accomplish. Further, set your priorities right and prepare a plan to achieve the desired goals. In short, we can say that recognizing the priorities paves the way for personal development and future success.
Different individuals have different perceptions of success. Being happy in life acts as a booster to success. Hence, we must prioritize happiness over success. People should understand that it is not right to base success on the parameters of certain milestones and accomplishments. Such a mindset portrays success in a negative light. Consequently, you are driven towards the feeling of unhappiness. Success comes when you can acknowledge your limitations. Wisdom is a powerful contributor to one’s success.
A definition essay is all about defining a term or idea clearly from all the possible viewpoints. Your essay must satisfy the audience. So, work according to the outline as it will help you lay out the information precisely and in a logical manner.
If you struggle with writing your essays, WritingMyEssay is your affordable solution! We have a team of qualified professional academic writers who have crafted excellent papers. Get assured 100% original and error-free academic papers timely. We have been rated 4.6 out of 5 by the customers on Trustpilot for our best essay writing services. You can access our customer support 24X7 for extended help.
All the writers are native English speakers, motivated to offer you a seamless experience. Their special free revision feature guarantees satisfactory results. The SSL-encrypted system protects your data from third parties and fraudsters.