Writing an analytical essay may give students nightmares. It provides them with an excellent way to do an in-depth assessment of any specific topic and understand critical real-life issues to analyze the situation.
It comprises literature work, scientific study, or historical events. Besides, you can share the insight through critically configured assessment.
- 1 What Is An Analytical Essay?
- 2 Analytical Essay Definition
- 3 What Is The Purpose Of Writing An Analytical Essay?
- 4 Major Differences Between Analytical Essay and Descriptive Essay
- 5 How To Select A Topic For An Analytical Essay?
- 6 Interesting Analytical Essay Topics for 2021
- 7 How To Create A Strong Analytical Essay Outline?
- 8 Analytical Essay Outline: How To Structure Your Analytical Essay?
- 9 What Are The Characteristics Of an Analytical Essay?
- 10 How To Write A Winning Analytical Essay?
- 11 Do’s and Don’ts of Writing an Argumentative Essay:
- 12 Conclusion
What Is An Analytical Essay?
An analytical essay is a written description of a thorough analysis of a subject. Be it any field– literature, music, art, politics, or historical events. It covers a wide range of features such as literature, music, art, politics, historical events, philosophy, science, etc.
Its’ main purpose is to present a surface level beyond the analytical view. An analytical essay must be compelling to persuade readers through strong claims, evidence, and examples.
Such essays are not restricted to academic courses as they are presented as reflection paper that resembles analytical essays. They are also published in newspapers, magazines, academic journals, trade journals, etc.
Let’s understand it better by giving a glance at –what is an analytical essay definition.
Analytical Essay Definition
An analytical essay can be best defined as a written description to present a claim or an argument about the subject. An analytical essay focuses on “how” the piece was written, rather than providing a summarized view of the topic.
It enhances the understanding of the subject in the picture. So instead of using persuasive language, concentrate on a deep analysis using relevant analytical essay examples. Doing this will strengthen your side of the argument.
What Is The Purpose Of Writing An Analytical Essay?
So you may often be wondering what is the purpose of an analytical essay. Let’s understand it.
There are two major purposes behind drafting an analytical essay; for the reader, as well as for the writer. Here the teachers encourage students to critically thinking and develop writing abilities. Talking about analytical essay writing is a wonderful way to stimulate thoughts and upgrade comprehension skills on a specific subject.
On the other hand, an analytical essay is enriched with essential features of writers. You might have come across an elucidated article or analysis essay published in a magazine or newspaper. It helps in perceiving news in a logical and meaningful manner.
Subject matter experts in the experienced fields draft well-thought, informative copies to educate the public on various subjects. It comprises science, economics, culture politics, art, architecture, etc.
Major Differences Between Analytical Essay and Descriptive Essay
Students often get confused between an analytical essay format and descriptive essay writing. However, the major difference between the two is the writer’s perception.
An analytical essay follows an argumentative approach. The arguments are backed up with claims, facts, and evidence from reliable sources. Whereas a descriptive essay is presented in the form of a film synopsis, book summaries, descriptive articles, etc. They don’t follow a thoroughly done analysis.
One common thing between these two is, that both analytical and descriptive essay brings the major points into the spotlight. The writing format follows a similar structure and style by organizing the entire body into paragraphs. Hence, maintaining a logical transition is another crucial point.
The descriptive papers generally provide a gist of facts and figures. On the contrary, interpretation is the core idea of analytical essay topics.
How To Select A Topic For An Analytical Essay?
Choosing a good analytical essay topic makes the outcomes successful. Here are some ways to pick analytical essay topics appropriately.
- Brainstorm: Indulge in deep thinking to ideate interesting topics. Make a list of all the problems involved in your subjects.
- Research: Look through various credible sources to gather information on the topic you have selected. It could be on the internet, in journals, magazines, newspapers, etc.
- Analyze: You cannot craft a high-end quality paper without properly analyzing the information in hand. Based on the available details, select the topic wisely.
- Evaluate: You must properly evaluate all the possibilities of your chosen topic. Take guidance from your teachers or analytical essay writing experts.
- Heading: The title of your analytical essay should be catchy and exciting. It should entice the readers while also providing a true idea of the context of your chosen subject.
Interesting Analytical Essay Topics for 2021
Topics On Education
- Uniform in schools: What are the pros and cons?
- How does School Education Shape Up Individual’s Life?
- Is homework beneficial for students? Discuss its pros and cons.
- Should the government make college education free for students?
- Discuss some practical ways to improve the education system and standards.
- Is art education important? Explain why.
- Should certain books be banned in schools?
- Is homeschooling better than traditional classroom schooling?
- How do teachers affect a child’s personality?
- Are exams, vital for the education system
Topics On Equality
- Discuss the surge in crime level due to poor neighborhoods.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of district zoning?
- Should the government stop levying taxes on the poor?
- How does poverty impact different aspects of society?
- Is there a relationship between poverty and future income?
- Could district zoning help in providing financial security to the poor?
- Discuss some powerful ways to fight inequality in society.
- Schools should teach children about equality.
- How does equality influence a country’s economy?
- Should the government introduce equal rights for citizens and immigrants?
Topics On Jobs
- Is teamwork in the workplace an important factor?
- How can an organization achieve guaranteed success?
- What are the qualities of an effective leader?
- What causes emotional burnout among individuals?
- How can leaders keep their employees motivated?
- Discuss the best strategies to negotiate higher salaries.
- What are the successful ways followed by leaders to tackle a conflicting scenario?
- How does the gender pay gap impact women?
- Explain some significant ways to ensure job satisfaction among the workers.
- What are the best ways to retain employees long-term?
Topics For Critical Analysis
- How do violent video games impact children?
- What are the challenges faced by single-parent families?
- Has the human race become too technologically dependent?
- How do social media channels affect education?
- What defines a person as a genius? Share the important characteristics.
- Discuss the considerable effects of global warming on Earth.
- What are the negative impacts of technology on society?
- Discuss why the government should not lower the drinking age.
- Write about the increased drug usage among college students.
- Why should government legalize drug usage?
Topics On History
- What caused the outbreak of the French Revolution?
- Discuss the reasons behind colonization.
- Explain in detail the major conflicts between France and Britain.
- The phases of World War II: Discuss in detail.
- What was the role of women in Prehistoric Britain?
- What were the major reasons that led to epidemics during the middle ages?
- How did globalization affect the world negatively?
- Development of Ancient Egypt: What caused it?
- Write about the colonial era that existed in the history of the United States.
- How were the social relationships formed and maintained in Medieval Europe?
You can find more interesting topics on Pecha Kucha.
How To Create A Strong Analytical Essay Outline?
The outline of your analytical essay has to cover the major section that ensures everything is organized in the final copy. The most common outline format is:
- The introductory body
- The main body
- The conclusion of the analytical essay
To understand it better let us elaborate on what is analytical essay structure and how to segment it into relevant parts.
Analytical Essay Outline: How To Structure Your Analytical Essay?
You can go deeper into the outline of an analytical essay. Well, that’s how you craft the essay body and divide it into relevant sections.
- Introduction: Keep the introductory paragraph attention-getter and include a strong thesis statement. The idea is to briefly explain the issue using background details. Thus, it should spark the reader’s interest.
- Body Paragraphs: The body comprises three to four paragraphs, each stating a specific point of analysis. It is important to discuss the idea of concern at the opening of each paragraph.
Finish your essay by restating the main idea and points made in it. Add a transition by the end of each paragraph. It will set up a perfect opening for the next one. You can present enough analysis till you have exhausted your capacity to share examples of an analytical essay topic.
- Conclusion: Wrap up your essay by restating the idea and major points mentioned in the essay. At this point, you can rephrase the thesis statement. Summarizing the key ideas shared in the essay also works.
The idea is to present a quick view of the entire write-up to understand the reader’s point of view. It is also helpful to link your analysis on the subject with a small and larger issue.
What Are The Characteristics Of an Analytical Essay?
Every form of academic writing has some necessities that ensure favourable outcomes. So, what are the four essential elements of an academic essay? Let us help you understand.
The essay is not a summary
An analytical essay is an analysis and not a synopsis. Hence, avoid the mistake of summarizing the theory and make it an overview of the novel. To ensure the desired results provide relevant evidence on the subject instead of stating the author’s idea.
The emphasis should be on explaining how the piece was described and written. Assess its theme and the metaphors used by the author. Every small detail of your art piece or book plays a huge role in presenting an examined report.
A Strong Thesis Statement
The thesis helps readers what they can anticipate from the write-up. Does it help them quickly understand what the writer is trying to prove? Furthermore, it helps audiences focus on the key point with a clear approach. Hence, leaving no room for confusion.
The thesis is one of the primary features of an analytical essay as it provides a sense of purpose to the readers. It also brings quality to the analytical paper.
Rigorous Research Work
The analytical analysis requires to support critically assessed background. To persuade readers with your point, it is important to share relevant evidence in support of your statements.
Adherence to the facts ensures credibility in your analysis. All this is impossible without proper and in-depth research work. Bring the idea to light and then discuss the factors involved.
Follow Proper Structure
Needless to say, you need to stick to a proper analytical essay format. It ensures the information is presented in an organized manner. It comprises essential factors like an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. It spreads the details into appropriate sections and explains them with useful insights. You need to maintain transition in the paragraphs and provide strong claims, and evidence.
How To Write A Winning Analytical Essay?
While writing an analytical essay you must be clear with your point of view. It is extremely important to keep the information organized and revolve around a central idea. You need to address the conflicting arguments. Back them up with appropriate evidence by scanning the necessary resources.
Here’s how to write an analytical essay.
- Decide A Central Viewpoint: Any writer must understand the significance of choosing a central point of view. The plan is to base the analytical essay paper on a single thesis statement. Moreover, It helps you adhere to the primary idea.
- End The Introduction With a Strong Thesis: The introduction is the opening of your essay. Therefore, you must make it educational yet engaging. Hook the readers with facts or a bold statement. You can also write a rhetorical question to spark the reader’s excitement. The context has to be global. Moreover, mention some questions or topics you will be answering in the analytical paper. By the end, write a powerful thesis statement.
- A Well-Organized Essay Body: If you are done with the introductory body, it is time to put your efforts into the body. Segment the entire body into multiple sections that deal with a specific topic. Irrespective of the paragraph, the focus should be on supporting the thesis. You can do it by sharing the background details, and analyzing them. Another way is to introduce a contradictory point of view. As per the analytical essay outline structure, the number of paragraphs is generally three to four. However, it largely depends on the scope of your subject.
- Precise And Relevant Topic Sentences: You must begin each body paragraph with a particular topic sentence. It should present the paragraph topic, while also linking it to the thesis statement.
- Evidence Is Primary: In the main body, you need to share a substantive analysis on the subject. It would not be a good idea to persuade the audience without appropriate evidence. As a result, include textual evidence from primary and secondary sources. This will significantly improve the essay’s authenticity, including footnotes and endnotes. You don’t need to agree with the opposite perspective.
- Enough Room For Opposing Opinions: Recognizing the contradictory viewpoint is a smart way to make any argument powerful. You don’t need to agree with the opposite perspective. Acknowledging the point helps articulate your ideas well. Later you can dismiss the idea with reasoning and a strong thesis.
- Summarized Conclusion: It doesn’t matter what your prime goal is, always conclude the analytical essay with sufficient evidence. Restate your perspective briefly, and mention the thesis. It is like a quick recap of the entire essay. Remind the audience of the major points and summarize everything you have explained so far.
Do’s and Don’ts of Writing an Argumentative Essay:
- Try splitting the statement into components or discrete areas of consideration.
- You can qualify your viewpoint and acknowledge others. While doing so, you won’t appear in hurry, but rather in a thoughtful and scholarly manner. Take the issue essay as an intellectual exercise, not as a forum for sharing your belief system.
- Admit and respond to key challenges of your position as well as to the chief merits of an opposing position. Use varied theoretical techniques.
- Explain how each example illustrates your point. Anyone can simply list a long string of examples and claim they make a point. But the readers are looking for incisive analysis, not fast typing (or writing).
- Don’t ponder your thoughts about whether the reader will be agreed or not. Readers are always objective. So don’t anticipate whether a reader would consider position( politically or otherwise) or an issue.
- Don’t tackle any issue unconditionally, but avoid coming across as fanatical or extreme.
- Overdo it when it comes to drawing on personal experiences to support your position. Rather, demonstrates a breadth of both real-world and academic experience. Offer your reader something special with either vast knowledge of trivia or in-hand technical knowledge of the topic.
Critical analysis is the core of any topic while writing an analytical essay. This comprises a novel, event, scientific observation, etc. It primarily covers supporting evidence and a thesis statement. Moreover, the analysis is all about resolving the primary data.
So when you hire a certified academic writer from Writing my essay at affordable prices, we’ll do the job for you! Besides, they help you meet deadlines and achieve higher marks with perfectly-structured papers. You can rely on professionals for the following writing services:
Stay assured of complete assistance with 24X7 customer support service. The experienced writers guarantee 100% original, and error-free deliveries to keep your teachers impressed!